State Fair Park is an economic generator for the Yakima Valley.
Since 1892 when Washington State held it's first fair on these grounds, we have served the community and the region as a gathering spot for numerous activities and events including our signature event...the annual Central Washington State Fair. Through the years, we have grown from being a once-a-year activity to a year-round activity center. Our marketing radius extends from northern Oregon to the Canadian border, from Idaho to the Puget Sound. We serve individuals, families, groups, non-profit organizations, schools, spectator sports, promoters, and many others.
The Central WA State Fair provides an opportunity to learn about the importance of agriculture in our daily lives, but the annual fair is only a part of our success. Interim events span a range of activities, making it clear that there is something for everyone at the fairgrounds throughout the year. Activities include: wedding receptions, Quinceaneras, motorized racing, craft fairs, home and garden shows, car shows, concerts, cultural festivals, athletic activities including the WIAA State play-offs.
The Fair Association (State Fair Park) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation.
In 1892 the first fair was held in Yakima when a group of businessmen assumed the responsibility of putting on a fair in a downtown building.
Previous to this time the entire State of Washington, for a period of two years, had been in an uproar trying to decide on the location of the State Capitol. On February 16, 1892, the Legislature made its decision and Yakima received the nod for the State Fair and Olympia retained the title of Capitol City.The bill creating the State Agricultural Fair was passed on March 2, 1893, and $10,000 was set aside for work on the buildings. One hundred and twenty acres of land was purchased and by September 24, 1894, the following buildings, etc., had been erected: A grandstand large enough to seat 2,000 people, a racetrack, a mile track, an exhibit hall, 100 horse stalls, and a judges stand that was three stories high.